Sunday, March 13, 2011

Next step- Get a good lawyer and let him negotiate everything he can for you.

I always thought of myself as a well educated independent woman but the truth is most of my children s life  I had been a stay at home mom and although I had various degrees one of them a Master's and a paralegal certificate in the real world I did not have that many years of working experience.  I was presently working part time and decided I was going back to school to get another advanced degree and training. 

I did something I should never have done.  I put myself in a situation I should never have.  My false pride convinced me that it would be easy to find a job if i did this but I never took into consideration the tanking of the economy which happened just about the time I graduated. Not only were people with experience being laid off left and right but anyone coming out of school was finding nothing but minimum wage positions no matter what their degree.

I thank God I wasn't completely stupid and did follow my lawyers advice and apply for alimony for life which I received but my stupidly and pride cost me because the amount was limited due to the fact my X insisted I could support myself.  I know if I hadn't gone back to school and  just stayed with the part time job I wouldn't be in the position I am now unemployed furiously looking for another job and hoping I get one before I lose my townhouse.

 One thing I learned that I hope can help someone else going though the divorce process is Divorce is a Business.  Don't be so nice. Take everything the state offers because this is your future and no one else s.  My X is still furious with me that I accepted alimony at all from him.   But if I hadn't I would have nothing right now.   Oh yeah don't rely on child support because the amount you get is a joke and no woman or man could support a child on it.  Also it ends at age 18 which I learned the hard way is absolutely no help when your child wants to go to college and you now have to pay half their expenses too.

No comments:

Post a Comment